Bratislava Castle sits prominently above the Slovak capital. The first written record of the castle dates from the year 907. The greatest influence on its architectural design was exerted by renovations and completions during the Gothic and Renaissance eras, as well as during the reign of Queen Maria Theresa. In 1953, the castle underwent a complete restoration. Another renovation, which is intended to restore the appearance of the castle to that after a major renovation under Maria Theresa, was launched in 2008. At present, the castle is home to exhibitions organised by the history department of the Slovak National Museum, with some of the areas used for representative and official purposes. The castle hosts gala dinners during informal meetings of ministers and ministerial conferences held during the Slovak Presidency.